There is no doubt that Michelle Obama was an integral part of the recently concluded presidential election and enjoys a popular following not only among the American public but also worldwide. Her FLOTUS account on Twitter currently has over 200,000 followers. As President Obama aptly put it, “Some may dispute the quality of our president, but nobody disputes the quality of our first lady.”
Michelle LaVaughn Robinson Obama, the first African-American lady in the White House recently caused a worldwide sensation on social media with her new haircut. She was seen sporting bangs a few days before the presidential inauguration. Whatever the reason behind the change of hairstyle – whether she’s trying to make a statement or was simply bored with her former hairstyle, this Leader in Heels is currently a public epitome of success, hard work, personal integrity and a positive role model for women of all ages around the world.
In this post, we list what we admire about the First Lady and some of her most inspiring quotes:
1. She’s not afraid to speak her mind or show her displeasure
The ‘epic eye roll’ directed at House Speaker John Boehner made headlines around the world. Michelle believes in being herself even while in the public eye. While experts are divided amongst themselves as to what John actually said that made Michelle roll her eyes, it is clear that she is confident and strong enough to show her displeasure even in public. According to Huffington Post, David Colbert who wrote “Michelle Obama: An American Story,” said that Michelle’s willingness to speak out was evident even at college when she criticised her French professors’ teaching methods.One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals
2. Self-confidence and style
She’s got an amazing sense of style and self-confidence, an important characteristic for any Leader in Heels – During the presidential inauguration balls in 2009 and 2013, she chose to wear Jason Wu a young and upcoming designer twice. She knows what she likes, looks good in and wears it with confidence and elegance.
3. Balancing different sets of priorities
Michelle appears to juggle her family, career and public commitments successfully – So what is the secret to her success? During an interview with Ladies Home Journal she observes that women learn to balance different things from the time they are children and gave an example of their two daughters. Michelle believed that the depth of their thoughts and emotional empathy arms women with the skills to juggle different priorities later in life. Sympathetic to the plight of the working woman, Michelle had this to say in Ladies Home Journal: “Finding balance has been the struggle of my life and my marriage, in being a woman, being a professional, being a mother. What women have the power to do, through our own experiences, is to push that balance out into the culture. If people are happier, and they’re more engaged, and they have jobs they can value that allow them to respect and value their homes, that makes the home life stronger.”
4. Giving back to the community
Michelle came in at #7 on Forbes Power Women list last year due to her approval ratings (at 66% higher than her husband’s) and involvement in causes such as childhood obesity, Let’s Move! initiative, mentoring program for youth and Joining Forces, which aims to support military families and provide them with opportunities.
5. Advocates the value of putting oneself at No.1
“Women in particular need to keep an eye on their physical and mental health, because if we’re scurrying to and from appointments and errands, we don’t have a lot of time to take care of ourselves. We need to do a better job of putting ourselves higher on our own ‘to do’ list.” Beliefnet.com.
Although Barack Obama is considered an excellent orator, Michelle is eloquent and also knows how to deliver inspiration wherever she speaks. Below are 5 of her best quotes:
1. “One of the lessons that I grew up with was to always stay true to yourself and never let what somebody else says distract you from your goals. And so when I hear about negative and false attacks, I really don’t invest any energy in them, because I know who I am.”Huffingtonpost.com
2. “Do not bring people in your life who weigh you down. And trust your instincts … good relationships feel good. They feel right. They don’t hurt. They’re not painful. That’s not just with somebody you want to marry, but it’s with the friends that you choose. It’s with the people you surround yourselves with.”
3. “We should always have three friends in our lives-one who walks ahead who we look up to and follow; one who walks beside us, who is with us every step of our journey; and then, one who we reach back for and bring along after we’ve cleared the way.”
4. “My most important title is still “mom-in-chief.” My daughters are still the heart of my heart and the center of my world.”
5. “Just do what works for you, because there will always be someone who thinks differently.”
Top image : credit
Quotes sourced from Goodreads.com