We’re just over half way through the business success secrets series now. I hope you’ve been able to use the information from the previous three articles to build a solid foundation for your business based around your strengths, passions, and lifestyle. It’s now time to take the next step and let you people know you exist.
Secret #4 – Getting Your Message out Using Low Cost and Free Strategies
Explore our collection of award-winning planners and journals that encourage leadership, goal-kicking, passion and motivation, with elegant designs that can be personalised.
Without customers you have no business. Without marketing you’ll most likely have no customers. What exactly is marketing and how can you choose the right strategy for you?
Definitions of marketing vary slightly from source to source but the common theme is the promotion or advertising of products or services that encourage customers to buy. There are many different ways you can market your products to customers. Here are just a few:
- Social Media
- Direct mail
- Free consultations
- Google Adwords
- Product reviews
- Product sampling
- Running competitions
It can be very overwhelming sometimes, especially if you’re in the start-up phase of your business. How do you know which strategy will work the best for you? What will give you the best bang for your buck?
Unfortunately there’s no magic formula that will guarantee results. The success of your marketing comes down to three things:
- Matching your strategy to your personality
- Being consistent
- Tracking your results
The good news is that it doesn’t have to cost a fortune to get your message out there. There are lots of free and low cost options available. Here are my top marketing strategies for businesses on a budget:
- Set up a Facebook business page (http://www.facebook.com/business). This gives you a lot of functionality that your personal profile doesn’t have. Get 10,000 Fans (http://www.facebook.com/Get10000Fans) does a really good job of this and provides some great free information.
- Get a WordPress website. This is a really low cost way to have a professional looking website that allows you to add widgets (similar to apps) to engage your customers and share information. If you’re not selling anything on your website the free version would be suitable.
- Add your business name and website to your signature at the bottom of every email you send out.
- Share information around the area of your expertise. You could do this by writing an eBook, an article, blog post (online web log), press release, or even commenting on someone else’s blog, Facebook page, group or forum.
- Create a short video (1-3 minutes) addressing one of the most commonly asked question you get using your smartphone. Mention your website and post it on YouTube.
I recommend my clients focus on 3-5 strategies they’re comfortable with. Do them consistently, do them well and automate them where possible. If you can’t choose a strategy, start with the ones you like and use. The information found in your fingers and fingerprints can also guide you.
Are you tired of unproductive meetings? Let our Meeting Notebook help make your meetings work.
The next topic in the series will be on how to keep your business overheads down.
Leonie Hope is known as the Purpose, Passion and Profit Specialist, and founder of Inspired Life Paths. She’s also a speaker, author, and qualified NLP Coach. Leonie’s passionate about empowering entrepreneurs and business owners to create a profitable, unique and authentic business that stands out from the crowd and makes a difference. She achieves this by interpreting the information found in your fingers and fingerprints.
Top Photo: Credit